Primary Typeface: Print
Trade Gothic Bold
Trade Gothic Light
Limited Usage Typeface: Print
We use Bembo instead of Trade Gothic for body copy in a limited number of specific cases. These include presidential invitations and awards ceremony support materials. In these applications, we set body copy in Bembo Regular, and we use Trade Gothic Bold for headlines and subheads. When setting type in Bembo, we use old style figures. The minimum size recommended for Bembo is 10.5 point.
Primary Typeface: Digital
Trade Gothic is the preferred typeface for any Boundless application. Trade Gothic is available as a web font for use on all U of T websites and should always be used in cases where text is not live, for example, on a static digital banner.
Secondary Typeface: Digital
For certain digital applications where the availability of fonts is limited (e.g., email), Arial Bold may be used for headlines and Arial Regular for body copy. The minimum size recommended for Arial onscreen is 16 pixels.
Limited Usage Typeface: Digital
If a substitute for Bembo is required for a digital application where the availability of fonts is limited (e.g., email), Times New Roman should be used.
Times New Roman
Accordion ToggleHeadline Treatment
We use Trade Gothic Bold for all of our headlines. In contexts where legibility from a distance is an issue (e.g., pole banners), we use Trade Gothic Bold No. 2. We never use Trade Gothic Condensed Bold No. 18.
- All copy must be left-aligned.
- All headline copy must be set as all caps.
- Headline leading should be quite tight. If the point size of the text = T, then the leading should be set at 0.9T.
- Tracking on headlines should also be set quite tightly, at −40. This may need to be adjusted on headlines with especially large or small sizes to ensure a consistent look across the platform.
- When a two-part headline is used, the space between the two parts should be 70% of the headline cap height.
- U of T Blue is the default colour for headlines. We only use Campaign Blue in two specific contexts: 1) when a two-part headline is used, we set the second part in Campaign Blue, and 2) if a headline is placed on a dark background, we use a 60% tint of Campaign Blue to ensure sufficient contrast.
Accordion ToggleBody Copy Treatment
Body copy is set in Trade Gothic Light.
- All body copy should be left-aligned.
- Body copy should be set in sentence case and 100% Black.
- The point size and leading for body copy should be appropriate for the application. The minimum size for body copy in print is 9.5 point.
- Leading for body copy should be at least 1.25 times the point size of the font. For body copy with a point size of 9.5, 12 point leading is preferred.
- Tracking for body copy should be set to 0.